GOBHI Foster Care
Provide advocacy, intervention, and support to interrupt generational trauma, build healthy communities, and develop stable, connected children and families.
Our foster program provides homes for youth in local communities involved in the Child Welfare system or that are being supported by their local community mental health program. We train and support our foster parents, empowering them to provide a safe environment that supports the healing process for youth served in our foster homes.
Steps to Becoming a Foster Parent with GOBHI
Two Ways to Help
Therapeutic Foster Care (TFC)
Our TFC program provides full time care to youth in your home. Any youth placed in your home are involved with Oregon DHS Child Welfare, and not currently able to be reunited with their parents.
Length of time a youth is likely to be in your home: 6-24 months
Planned and Crisis Respite
Our respite program provides more flexibility to individual foster parents and foster families that are not able to commit to providing full time care. Respite providers indicate when they are available to accept youth into their home for short periods of time, and are a valuable resource to their community and our full time foster parents. These youth are either involved in our TFC program, or are involved with the local community mental health program in your county.
Length of time a youth is likely to be in your home: 1-14 days
21 years or older and be willing to:
- Allow a home and fire safety inspection
- Complete a criminal and child welfare background check
- Keep an emotionally, physically, and financially stable household
- Provide a separate bedroom for foster youth
- Have fewer than 5 children living in your home
Our Training Program
To support the success of our foster parents and the youth placed in their home, we provide a minimum of 37 hours of training prior to a youth entering your home. Our training program includes individual, group, and online opportunities. Each year, we support foster parents in attending at least 16 additional hours of training. Our trainings include:
- Collaborative Problem Solving
- 8 week parent training course
- 3 day Tier 1 training
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention
- Overview of program policy and procedures
- Therapeutic intervention trainings specific to the youth in your home
- 3 day Annual GOBHI Spring Conference
Getting to Know Each Other
The home study process takes a little time, but it is important that you and your family make an informed decision about being a foster parent. Additionally, we use the information gathered through written responses and in-person conversations to find out what youth will be best to match with your home and how best we work as a team to support to both the youth placed in your home and you!
How We Support Our Families
- Reimbursement of up to $2400 monthly for each youth
- 2 paid days off per month supported by GOBHI
- 24/7 on call crisis support
- Assigned Regional Child Placing Coordinator for support
- Initial and on-going training provided